The D Luis Bridge was built over River Douro to replace the Suspension Bridge, being the Belgian company Societé de Willebroeck in charge of this work, with a project by the engineer Teofilo Seyrig.
|The D Luis Bridge|
It was inaugurated in 1886 and classified as National Monument in 1982.
It has one of the World's largest arcs in wrought iron and two decks.
Nowadays the upper deck is crossed by one of Porto's underground (tube) lines, and the lower deck, with 6850in long, can be one of the passages to get to Vila Nova de Gaia, whether by car or on foot.
Porto - suggested itineraries (EN)